Thursday, December 25, 2008

Microscopy with Nokia Phones

Today I got a new microscope for my son, the plan was to find some microbes and have fun .  While setting it up , I had an idea why not hook it up with a Nokia and see what come out , so I setup my mobile lab consisting of Microscope , Lamp , Nokia E71 and N95-8gb ( on loan from my mother ) slides and microscope lenses .

My Mobile Lab

Setup was easy , as a subject I used my hair in a drop of water . Set the magnification to the highest , setup the lamp for lighting through the mirror and had the thing up and running .

My microscope

Coming to the experiment , I used my E71 camera to take snaps of my hair but they didn’t came out well , then I turned off the flash and changed the colors to black and white for an authentic slide effect . 

Setting up the lab

Later I used the N95-8gb for better handling of pictures . 

My hair

Snapping the pic 

Snapped

Photos Samples

Taken with E71

Above Pic taken with e71 , in B/W mode below with N95-8gb the line in between is my Hair ;)

Taken with N95-8gb Taken with N95-8gb (2) Taken with N95-8gb (1)

It was just an experiment with practical implications , on the field say a doctor has to handle an unknown microbe , he/she can easily take a snap using the microscope and phone and send it to the main hospital / lab for identification .

A geologist finds an interesting piece of soil , could be easily analyzed on the microscope and send quickly to headoffice for archives and many other uses where magnification and speed of delivery is required . 

Microscopingly

Farhan

No comments:

http://chitika.com/mm_overview.php?refid=schawlaf