Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Travelogue , Quick recap and tips

Ok , I know it's a "technology" blog mostly about Nokia , very few want to hear about my travel to USA neither I have time to go in detial about everyday so here's a quick recap
I went to Niagara falls where I was on American Side hated the Days Inn at Falls , loved the Comfort Inn where I moved the next day visited Maid of The Mist , Cave of the Wind , Naiagara Movie , Goat Island , 3 days here and after talking to my good friend Jay Patel I left for Detroit

Detroit is where my heart is in USA , no I don't have a line of girl friends there I've spent 10% of my life there , It's where I learnt the most important lesson of my life that I have to nake my own place in the world and it's not easy , 3 years from 1996 - 1999 I lived in Westland , Inkster and Canton studying at Henry Ford Community College and University of Michigan - Dearborn , i still have good friend there like Saleem and others a whole bunch of Arab friends etc . It's the place I came up with me belonging to the " Supreme Race " story when I once was taunted by a red neck from Georgia yup me a milk chocolate skin belonging to Supreme Aryan race , many people will mouth me off for it but the redneck bought it and I was like his brother from well another country .

Stayed in MI at Novi for 4 days at Saleem's house where my kids and his kids made good freinds ther eI discovered the fine art of Auto Customization at Ride Makerz , a build a bear like company where you can make own cars and if get carried away a single car can cost USD 80 plus . loved the concept
I also met my mentor Dr Kamalesh Kumar at the Univeristy of Michigan missed Karen who I used to assit 10 years ago , went to Fairlane Mall , the only place in US where instructions are also posted in Arabic .

Later left for Orlando for 8 days , 9 nights , went to Disney Magic Kingdom , Universal Studios , Island of Adveture , Busch Gardens , Aquatica , Sea World missed Wet and Wild shopped till I dropped at Orlando premium Outlets and went back to NYC where I stayed for 2 nights and came back to Pakistan after 21 fun filled days

My story in millions of words are posted at my Flickr account just see on your right panel

Travel Tips from me

American Immigration is nice , even for Pakistanis , no discrimination , no hassle if you follow all the rules at every airport me and my family were never stopped , no extra checking for us , we breezed through security while they were stopping americans for checking

50 lbs / bag means 50 lbs , if it's 51 lbs those blood sucking airlines will demand USD 50 so I had to carry a lot of hand carry stuff I left with 2 bags from Pakistan , became 4 at Detroit , it's one bag per person in US abroad plane and 50 lbs weight limit the bags became 5 when I came back home , even on international travel on Etihad from US 50 lbs was the final weight and many were re organizing their stuff

It's cheaper to get a Limo in NYC then to get a cab when travelling to and fro airport to city be it Newark or JFK

ATT offers deals just ask for it for prepay connection , I got a free Motorola Phone on spending USD 45/ on airtime and shop around 7 eleven could be cheaper then Radio Shack

NYC people are nice they opened doors for me when I had my kids stroller , bus driver took me for a free ride all cause I had kids and no change on me

Macy offers huge discounts for travellers , I got 50 % off on sale plus 11 % off traveler discount and 10 % early bird discount

Shop around BEst Buy is the best place for electronics , I got Nikon S550 for USD 200 and Compaq 940NR laptop 17 inch , 2390 processor , 200 gb , 3 gb ram for USD 579 only

don't leave your son to make a car on his own at Ride Makerz it can cost 80 bucks per car

Americans are trusting people , if I say I have a ticket on tour bus , no one bothers to ask for it same at International Drive , the drivers often took me wihout seeing my pass

That's all folks of my trip


Enjoyed and reliving it

FArhan

No comments:

http://chitika.com/mm_overview.php?refid=schawlaf